If your corporate or community group is looking for a unique team-building opportunity a waka experience on the Ngāi Tahu waka, Kōtukumairangi is perfect. Ngāi Tahu waka ama champions Iaean Cranwell and Craig Pauling lead your group on a unique and unforgettable experience.
You will learn about the tikanga and kawa of the waka, leadership, trust, and the strength of working together.
Ka mau te wehi!
- Whakatau: Arrive and be welcomed by your hosts.
- Mihimihi: Get to know each other and go over the objectives for the day.
- Whakataki: Iaean and Craig will provide an outline of the day’s events, key safety information and a tutorial on the waka Kōtukumairangi. You will learn about waka history and values, as well as paddling techniques.
- Kai/Paramanawa*: Refreshments before embarking.
- Whare taonga*: Visit the Museum and see the amazing collection of taonga, including the world-class waka collection.
- Whakarewa / Hoea: Launch Kōtukumairangi from its whare onto the Ōpara River. Paddle downstream learning traditional chants and how to turn and manoeuvre the waka.
- Whakaungia: Return Kōtukumairangi to the wharewaka, paddling back upstream on the Ōpara River, and learn the traditional waka salute.
- Whakakapi: Wrap up the day with a reflection of your experience and a farewell from your hosts.